Day Six: five ways to win my heart
- Spend time with me. I’m a sucker for spontaneous Saturday road trips or movie nights. Quality time doesn’t have to be fancy dinners with a bottle of wine. It can be a drive through the country with the windows down or an evening on the porch with a beer and good conversation.
- Kindness will melt my heart quicker than ice cream on a 100 degree day. That’s one of the first things I noticed about my husband. He is kind to just about every person he meets. I really have no desire to be around people who are intentionally rude or just plain mean.
- Snail mail. I LOVE getting letters. My husband is not a writer. He does not enjoy writing letters to me or to anyone for that matter. So, when I do get a little note from him, it totally makes my day!! I try to write a card to at least one co-worker a week just because I know how happy it makes me feel to receive a pick-me-up in the middle of the week. (a little side note: I HAVE A MAJOR OBSESSION WITH STATIONARY!!)
- I know this will make me sound like a brat, but I don’t care. I love to get gifts. If Chip goes on a business trip and doesn’t come home with something, my feelings are so hurt. HAHA. Now that being said, I don’t expect anything elaborate or expensive. It can be a postcard, I don’t care. I just like to know that I was thought of when he was away. One time he brought me back a quarter from California that has a really cool story (that I’ll save for another time) and I have it framed on my desk at work. I also LOVE to give gifts. I actually probably like that more than receiving gifts.
- Food. Before I had a baby, I baked all the time. I love to try new recipes and use a lot of butter and heavy cream and all the stuff that sticks to my butt and thighs. This is also why I want to hug the neck of whoever invented stretchy pants. Rachel + Food = true love forever. If you feed me, we will probably be friends for life.
So, if you spend time with me, you’re a fairly decent person, send me letters, buy me things, or feed me, you will have won my heart. Good thing my husband does most of these things.