1. It’s football season. I will admit I’m a little bummed that I’m not following Iowa this year, and A LOT of people have referred to me as a bandwagon fan, but whatever, it’s all for a good cause. I’m not sure who I will follow this year. There are several options where I live. OSU, OU, Mizzou (not happening), Arkansas….I’m thinking I’ll probably go with the Hogs but don’t hold me to it. I wish Missouri State actually had a football team that I was proud to call “my team” seeing as I’m a Bear and all, but yeah, not happening.
And then there’s the NFL. I’m still in a love/hate relationship with the Chiefs but excited for the new season. And I’m mostly excited about cooking on game days! That’s the best part! I’m already volunteering my house for football parties!
2. I have started the official countdown to my birthday. Every year on August 22, the countdown begins. It’s exactly two months until the big day and this year I have a lot more than my birth to celebrate. Although, it really just means I’m that much closer to 30, and that much closer to being a cat lady because, let’s face it, pigs are gon’ fly before I date ANYONE in my hometown. It’s slim pickin’s round here. I love my little life, though.
3. I’m really excited about cooler weather. I’ve been running at night again and I love the cool, crisp air that the end of August has welcomed in. Soon and very soon I’ll be able to wear scarves, which as you know, basically rule my world.
4. Another thing that really makes my skirt fly up, figuratively speaking, is that I’ll be headed to the east coast again this Fall. I’m mainly excited for the fresh seafood. Oh, and I’m excited to see my family, but mostly the seafood. I’m telling ya, when you’re from the Midwest, fresh seafood is like a rare delicacy.
5. I’m actually really looking forward to race day with Christin. We’re going to need all the support we can get, so come cheer us on. AKA, please have water and Gatorade waiting at the finish line. I don’t care who you are.
6. For the first time in five years, I’m not dating a duck or deer hunter. While this DOES make me kind if sad (because I’ll admit it, I did always get caught up in the thrill of it all) I will not miss the constant shrill of duck and goose calls being blown for hours upon end inside the house and I will not miss the bad moods that came with not seeing the “big one.” This time last year, I was pulling grass for a duck blind that would cover the boat and I admit I cussed a couple times because my hands were bleeding by the end of it all. But that’s just the kinda girlfriend I am. Oh, and if anyone needs me to assemble duck or goose decoys, I’m your girl. But please don’t ask. Oh, and the never ending amounts of camo and the piles of laundry that HAD to be washed with the Scent Block soap and, God forbid I screw up and throw in one of my lavender scented fabric sheets. Oh the stress that comes with dating a hunter. But yes, I’ll just say it…..it IS hot when a man kills his own food or can at least shoot a gun. Mmmm hmmmm.
7. And honestly, people, I’m just excited about life in general. There’s a song that says, “This is my prayer in the harvest, when favor and providence flow. I know I’m filled to be emptied again, the seed I’ve received I will sow.” I love it. This past year has been such a year of growth for me, emotionally, mentally, spiritually….and I’ve now been given the opportunity to take what I’ve learned and sow those seeds within lives around me. I love that I’m able to use what a lot of people would call obstacles as stepping stones instead.
Life is a wonderful, beautiful thing! ~Rach